14 User Guide ShoreTel IP Phone 480/480g
Getting Started Operating Your Phone
2. When prompted, press the Unassign soft key again.
Depending on how the phone was configured, the phone displays Anonymous, Available, or the
name and extension of the user whose extension is typically assigned to the phone, unless that
user is currently assigned to another phone.
To unassign your extension through the Options menu:
1. Press the Options soft key.
2. Enter your voicemail password, and press the OK soft key.
The Options menu opens.
3. Press the navigation key to scroll to the Unassign user option.
4. With the Unassign user option highlighted, press the Unassign soft key.
5. At the prompt, press the Unassign soft key again.
Your extension is unassigned from the phone.
Operating Your Phone
This section provides an overview of the following basic phone tasks:
Sending an incoming call to voicemail
Adjusting the ring and listening volume
Turning off the phone’s ringer
Muting a call
Changing automatic off-hook preference
To place a call, you can use the handset, the speakerphone, or a headset.
Using the Handset to Place a Call
1. To place a call, pick up the handset and dial a phone number.
2. To end the call, hang up the handset.
You can also unassign a phone by using the voicemail system. For more information, see
Assigning Your Extension to a Phone on page 60.