CABLE INSTALLATION (SECONDARY METROLOGIC SCANNER)
The following steps describe how to properly install the cables between a secondary Metrologic scanner and the StratosS.
The StratosS and the secondary scanner must then be configured to communicate properly. Cable installation alone does
not guarantee that the StratosS will communicate properly with the host system and secondary scanner.
Contact a Metrologic customer service representative before connecting another manufacturer’s scanner to the
StratosS as a secondary scanner.
Configuration bar codes are located in the
MS2xxx Stratos Series Configuration Addendum (MLPN 00-02034x) under Scanner Configuration Bar Codes:
Auxiliary Port, Quick Start for a Secondary Metrologic Scanners.
1. Refer to pages 16 - 22 for the type of interface (RS232, IBM 46xx, etc.) required for your application. Follow the cable
installation steps under the appropriate interface before continuing. Once the communication and power cables have
been installed follow step 2 below for the secondary scanner installation.
2. Connect the straight end of the RS232 PowerLink AUX cable (MLPN 57-57099x-3) into the RS232 socket of the secondary
scanner (see figure on page 25).
3. Connect the angled end of the RS232 AUX cable (MLPN 57-57099x-3) into the 10-pin socket labeled Aux RS232 In, on
the bottom of the StratosS.
Important: The StratosS series’ aux port requires the signals; transmit, receive, RTS & CTS from the secondary scanner.
StratosS’ auxiliary port will support 5VDC devices with a 150mA maximum current. If the auxiliary device exceeds
this specification an external power supply will be required to power the auxiliary device.
The following Metrologic scanners can receive power from StratosS: the MS9520, MS9540, and the MS5145.
4. This step is required for secondary devices that require >5VDC and/or 150mA current to operate. Skip to step 5 if
the secondary device requires ﾔ 5VDC.
Plug the power supply into the secondary scanner’s PowerLink cable (MLPN 57-57099x-3) and connect AC power to the
Check the AC input requirements of the power supply to make sure the voltage matches the AC outlet. The outlet
should be located near the equipment and be easily accessible.
5. Configure the StratosS and the secondary scanner. The auxiliary input port’s data format must match the main output
format of the secondary scanner.
Refer to the MS2xxx Stratos Series Configuration Addendum (MLPN 00-02034x) under Scanner Configuration
Bar Codes: Auxiliary Port, Quick Start for a Secondary Metrologic Scanners.