10/27/05 S4M Maintenance Manual 13291L-001 Rev. A
To load ribbon, complete these steps:
1. Set the ribbon supply spindle for normal or low tension.
• To place the ribbon supply spindle in the normal position, firmly pull out the spindle
end cap until it extends and clicks in place, as shown in Figure 19. Use this setting for
• To place the ribbon supply spindle in the low-tension position, firmly push in the end
cap until it retracts and clicks in place, as shown in Figure 19. Use this setting when
using a narrow ribbon or if normal tension hampers ribbon movement.
Figure 19 • Ribbon Spindle—Normal and Low Tension
2. Press the printhead release latch to open the printhead assembly. Lift the printhead until it
3. Orient the ribbon with the loose end unrolling clockwise.
1Normal Position (Spindle End Cap Extended)
2Low-Tension Position (Spindle End Cap Retracted)