Preventive and Corrective Maintenance
10/27/05 S4M Maintenance Manual 13291L-001 Rev. A
Install the New Printhead
Connect the printhead cables to the new printhead fork assembly and then carefully slide
the assembly into the print mechanism.
2. Ensure the two locating protrusions on the print mechanism mounting plate snap into the
locating holes on the printhead fork assembly.
3. Try to move the printhead fork assembly back and forth to make sure that it is engaged;
the assembly should not move. If the assembly moves, repeat step 2.
4. Secure the printhead to the mechanism with the previously removed thumbscrew and
close the print mechanism.
5. Rotate the two printhead pressure dials to the desired position for your daily printing, as
noted in step 4 on page 127.
Clean the printhead and platen roller using Zebra Preventive Maintenance Kit (47362).
7. Reinstall media and ribbon and close the media door.
8. Reconnect the AC power cord and data cables.
9. Turn On (l) the printer.
Caution • An improperly connected printhead data or power cable may cause the
printhead to generate excessive heat and/or a false HEAD COLD message to display
while the printhead is hot enough to cause severe burns. Allow the printhead to cool.
Important • When mounting the printhead fork assembly onto the print mechanism,
visually inspect and ensure the following:
• the cables are in their channels at the back of their carrier assembly
• the power cable is under data cable
• they are not binding on the print mechanism
Important • The printhead must be properly engaged with the ribbon guide plate to ensure
proper print quality.
Caution • Do not use sharp objects to clean the printhead or platen roller.