Preventive and Corrective Maintenance
13291L-001 Rev. A S4M Maintenance Manual 10/27/05
To clean the printhead and platen roller, complete these steps:
1. Open the printhead assembly.
2. Remove the media and ribbon.
3. Using the swab from the Preventive Maintenance Kit (part number 47362) or a solution of
90% Isopropyl alcohol and 10% deionized water and a cotton swab, wipe along the brown
strip on the printhead assembly from end to end. Allow the solvent to evaporate.
4. While manually rotating the platen roller, clean it thoroughly with the swab. Allow the
solvent to evaporate.
5. Reload media and ribbon, and close the printhead assembly.
Caution • The printhead may be hot and could cause severe burns. Allow the printhead
Note • If performing this procedure does not improve print quality, try cleaning the
printhead with Save-A-Printhead cleaning film. This specially coated material removes
contamination buildup without damaging the printhead. Call your authorized Zebra
reseller for more information.