More on Photography
To compose photographs with off-center subjects:
Position the subject in the focus frame.
Press the shutter button
halfway to set focus and
exposure. Focus and ex-
posure will remain locked
while the shutter button
is pressed halfway (AF/AE
Recompose the picture.
Keeping the shutter but-
ton pressed halfway, re-
compose the picture.
Although the camera boasts a high-precision autofo-
cus system, it may be unable to focus on the subjects
listed below. If the camera is unable to focus using
autofocus, use focus lock to focus on another subject
at the same distance and then recompose the pho-
• Very shiny subjects such as mirrors or car bodies.
• Fast-moving subjects.
• Subjects photographed through a window or other
• Dark subjects and subjects that absorb rather than
reflect light, such as hair or fur.
• Insubstantial subjects, such as smoke or flame.
• Subjects that show little contrast with the back-
ground (for example, subjects in clothing that is the
same color as the background).
• Subjects positioned in front of or behind a high-
contrast object that is also in the focus frame (for
example, a subject photographed against a back-
drop of highly contrasting elements).