More on Photography
Choose a value.
Press the d button and rotate the com-
mand dial until the exposure indicator shows
the desired value.
The e ect is also visible in the display.
(–) values to reduce
Choose positive (+)
values to increase
Choosing an Exposure Compensation Value
• Backlit subjects: choose values
3 EV to +12
3 EV (for an
explanation of the term “EV”,
see the Glossary on page 128)
• Highly re ective subjects or very
bright scenes (e.g., snow elds):
+1 E V
• Scenes that are mostly sky: +1 EV
• Spotlit subjects (particularly if photographed against
dark backgrounds): –2
• Subjects with low re ectivity (pine trees or dark-col-
ored foliage): –2
A d icon and exposure indicator are displayed at set-
tings other than ±0. Exposure compensation is not
reset when the camera is turned o ; to restore normal
exposure control, choose a value of ±0.
d Exposure Compensation
Use exposure compensation when photographing very bright, very dark, or high-contrast subjects.