13 First Steps
Inserting the Battery and a Memory Card
• The data in internal memory may be erased or corrupted when the camera is repaired.
Please note that the repairer will be able to view pictures in internal memory.
• Formatting a memory card or internal memory in the camera creates a folder in
which pictures are stored. Do not rename or delete this folder or use a computer or
other device to edit, delete, or rename image files. Always use the camera to delete
pictures from memory cards and internal memory; before editing or renaming files,
copy them to a computer and edit or rename the copies, not the originals.
• Remove dirt from the battery terminals with a clean, dry cloth. Failure to observe this
precaution could prevent the battery from charging.
• Do not affix stickers or other objects to the battery. Failure to observe this precaution
could make it impossible to remove the battery from the camera.
• Do not short the battery terminals. The battery could overheat.
• Read the cautions in “The Battery and Power Supply” (P vi).
• Use only battery chargers designated for use with the battery. Failure to observe this
precaution could result in product malfunction.
• Do not remove the labels from the battery or attempt to split or peel the outer casing.
• The battery gradually loses its charge when not in use. Charge the battery one or
two days before use.