5.5.2. Adding User Accounts
The "Add Username" option allows you to create new accounts and assign usernames,
passwords, serial port access and plug access rights to each account. Note that the
Add User function is only available when you have entered command mode using a
password that permits Administrator Level commands.
To create new user accounts, activate the command mode using an account that
permits access to Administrator level commands and then proceed as follows:
• Text Interface: Type /F and press [Enter] to access the System Parameters menu.
From the System Parameters Menu, type 1 and press [Enter] to display the User
Directory Menu. From the User Directory menu, type 2 and press [Enter]. The Add
User menu (Figure 5.5) will be displayed.
• Web Browser Interface: Click the "Users" link to display the User Configuration
menu. At the User Configuration menu, click the "Add User" link. The RSM-8R4 will
display the Add User menu (Figure 5.6.)
The Add User Menu can define the following parameters for each new account:
• Username: Up to 32 characters long, and cannot include non-printable characters.
Duplicate usernames are not allowed. (Default = undefined.)
• Password: Five to 16 characters long, and cannot include non-printable
characters. Note that passwords are case sensitive. (Default = undefined.)
• Access Level: Determines which commands this account will be allowed to
access. This option can set the access level for this account to "Administrator",
"SuperUser", "User" or "ViewOnly." For more information on Command Access
Levels, please refer to Section 5.4.1 and Section 17.2. (Default = User.)
• Port Access: Determines which RSM-8R4 Serial Ports this account will be allowed
to access. (Defaults; Administrator & SuperUser = All Ports On,
User and ViewOnly = All Ports Off.)
• In the Text Interface, Serial Port Access is configured by selecting item 4 and
then selecting the desired ports from the resulting submenu.
• In the Web Browser Interface, Serial Port Access is configured by clicking
on the "plus" symbol to display the drop down menu, and then selecting the
desired ports from the drop down menu.
• Administrator and SuperUser level accounts will always have access to all
• ViewOnly accounts are allowed to display the status of Serial Ports, but are
limited to the ports specified by the account. ViewOnly accounts are not
allowed to create connections between ports.