5.3.3. Log Configuration
This feature allows you to create records of command activity, alarm actions and
temperature readings for the RSM-8R4 unit. The Log features are enabled and
configured via the System Parameters Menus.
The RSM-8R4 features three different event logs: the Audit Log, the Alarm Log and the
• Audit Log: The Audit log creates a record of all port connection/disconnection,
power switching, and reboot activity at the RSM-8R4 unit, including reboots and
switching caused by Load Shedding, Load Shedding Recovery, Ping No Answer
Reboots and Scheduled Reboots. In addition, the Audit Log also includes login/
logout records for all users and connection/disconnection records for the serial
ports. Each Log record includes a description of the activity that caused the power
switching, port connection, login or reboot, the username for the account that
initiated the action and the time date that each event occurred.
• Alarm Log: The Alarm log creates a record of all Alarm Activity at the RSM-8R4
unit. Each time that an alarm is triggered or cleared, the RSM-8R4 will generate a
record that lists the time and date of the alarm, the name of the Alarm triggered, a
description of the Alarm and the time and date that the Alarm was cleared.
• Temperature Log: The Temperature Log provides a record of temperature levels
over time at the RSM-8R4 unit. Each Log record will include the time and date, and
the temperature reading. The Temperature Log can be downloaded in ASCII, CSV
or XML format, and when viewed via the Web Browser Interface.
18.104.22.168. The Audit Log and Alarm Log
The System Parameters menu allows you to select three different configuration
parameters for the Audit Log and Alarm Log. Note that the Audit Log and Alarm Log
function independently, and parameters selected for one log will not be applied to the
• Off: The Log is disabled, and command activity and/or alarm events will not be
• On - With Syslog: The Log is enabled, and power switching, reboot activity and/or
alarm events will be logged. The RSM-8R4 will generate a Syslog Message every
time a Log record is created. (Default Setting.)
• On - Without Syslog: The Log is enabled, and power switching, reboot activity
and/or alarm events will be logged, but the RSM-8R4 will not generate a Syslog
Message every time a Log record is created.
• In order for the Audit Log or Alarm Log to generate Syslog Messages, Syslog
Parameters must first be defined as described in Section 11.
• The Audit Log will truncate usernames that are longer than 22 characters,
and display two dots (..) in place of the remaining characters.