PollCat NetLink-VIP & PollCat NLJ-VIP - User’s Guide
17.1.8. Upload Firmware
This function is used to upload VIP ﬁrmware updates. Updates can be
uploaded to the VIP via modem or the Console Port. To upload ﬁrmware,
proceed as follows:
1. Obtain the update ﬁle. Firmware modiﬁcations can either be mailed to
the customer, or downloaded from WTI via modem. Place the disk or
diskette in your drive and/or copy the ﬁle to your hard drive.
2. This upload procedure will erase all parameters from ﬂash memory.
If your VIP unit has the base memory option (512K, no SIMMs), the
upload procedure will also erase all stored data. It is recommended to
retrieve stored data and download parameters before beginning
a) Access command mode. Poll the unit to retrieve all stored data as
described in Section 15.
b) Use the Download Parameters function (see Section 15.2) to save
all user- deﬁned parameters.
3. Press [Esc] to return to the Main Menu. Select item 3 "System
Functions". When the System Functions menu appears, type 8 and
press [Enter] to activate the Upload Firmware function.
4. The VIP will display a screen which asks for conﬁrmation before
continuing with the upgrade. To proceed, type 1 and press [Enter].
The VIP will clear its internal memory. While erasing data, the VIP
will require approximately 20 seconds for each SIMM installed. Do
not enter additional commands during this time.
5. After ﬂash memory is cleared, the VIP will display a screen that reads
"Upload Program Upgrade, <ESC> to quit".
6. Use your communication program's upload function to transfer the
upgrade ﬁrmware to the VIP unit via modem or the Console Port.
Select ASCII ﬁle format, and then specify the ﬁlename and directory
location for the ﬁrmware upgrade ﬁle.
Note: The Upload function will time-out after one minute of
inactivity. If the function times out, type 1 and press [Enter] to
continue, or press [Esc] to abort.