Telnet & SSH Functions
The Direct Connect Function is conﬁgured on a per port basis using the Port
Conﬁguration Menus (/P nn), item 13, "Direct Connect". The following
options are available:
1. Direct Connect OFF: Direct Connect disabled at this port. (Default)
2. Direct Connect ON - NO PASSWORD: The Direct Connect feature is
enabled at this port, but no password is required in order to connect to the
a) When the Telnet connection is established, the user is immediately
connected directly to the speciﬁed port, and the client is notiﬁed at
the TCP level.
b) This option is intended for situations where security is provided by
the attached device.
Note: The SSH Direct Connection function is disabled when the
"On - No Password" option is selected.
3. Direct Connect ON - PASSWORD: The Direct Connect feature is
enabled at this port, but a password must be entered before a Direct
Connection is established.
a) Upon login, the RSM will prompt for a username and password. If a
valid username/password is entered, the RSM will return a message
which conﬁrms the connection and lists the name and number of the
port (providing the user account allows access to the target port.)
b) If a valid username / password is not entered in 30 seconds or three
attempts, the port will timeout and disconnect.
• If you intend to use SSH to establish direct connections to the RSM,
the "Direct Connect ON - PASSWORD option must be selected.
• If Supervisor commands are disabled at the Network Port, then
accounts that permit Supervisor commands will not be able to
initiate a Direct Connection.
• If Supervisor commands are enabled at the Network Port, then
accounts with Supervisor access and accounts without Supervisor
access will both be allowed to establish Direct Connections.
• If your user account does not permit access to the target port, the
connection will be refused.