There are two ways to use the HDL-4. You may play one pair
of speakers at a time, or play m ultiple pairs simultaneously.
If you intend to play more than one pair of speakers at the
same time, you will need to becom e familiar with the opera-
tion of the HDL-4's PROTECTION button.
Playing One Pair of Speakers At a Time
1. M ake sure the amplifier or receiver power is OFF and set
the volume to minim um.
2. Locate the ON/OFF button on the HDL-4 which corre-
sponds to the speaker pair you wish to play. Set it to the ON
3. Turn on the amplifier or receiver and select a source, such
as the tuner or CD player.
4. Slowly turn up the amplifier or receiver volume and set it
to a comfortable (not m aximum ) listening level. Be careful
not to overdrive or "clip" your amplifier. If the sound
becomes muddy or distorted, you have reached the limit of
your amplifier's volume capability and should quickly reduce
the volume to avoid damaging your speakers.
5. To turn off the speaker pair, simply press the correspond-
ing ON/ OFF button on the HDL-4.
If your amplifier or
receiver has "A"
and "B" speaker-
connect the HDL-4
to the "A" outputs.
Do not connect
anything to "B".
This will prevent
the amplifier or
receiver from driving
an unusually low