CONNECTING THE LOUDSPEAKER (CONTINUED)
4. If using the bracket to attach to a solid surface, slide the loudspeaker onto the bracket.
Do not tighten the knobs completely. Angle the loudspeaker so that the rear terminals
are accessible. If using the shelf stand, position the loudspeaker on the stand and place
it on the shelf or table where you want it.
5. Connect one stripped wire end to the black terminal and one to the red terminal, using
NOTE: OBSERVE CORRECT POLARITY: POSITIVE (+) GOES TO THE RED POST AND NEGATIVE
(–) GOES TO THE BLACK POST. IF YOU ARE UNSURE OF WIRE POLARITY, SEE CHECKING
LOUDSPEAKER PHASE BELOW.
6. If required, attach the safety cable to the loudspeaker enclosure. See SAFETY
FIRST on page 10 for details.
7. Verify that the loudspeakers are in-phase, as described in CHECKING
LOUDSPEAKER PHASE below.
8. Angle the loudspeaker for the best sound possible.
9. Tighten the bracket knobs by hand only.
NOTE: DO NOT USE ANY TOOLS FOR TIGHTENING. DOING SO MAY STRIP THE INSERT THREADS.
10. Check that the entire installation is safe and secure.
CHECKING LOUDSPEAKER PHASE
Loudspeaker wire has two conductors. On both your loudspeaker and ampliﬁer, one conductor
is attached to the negative (–) terminals, while the other is attached to the positive (+) terminals.
Usually, the wire is marked for your convenience, but the marking can be done in the following
• Stripe on one wire
• Ribbed area you can feel on one conductor
• Different colors of metal wire on each conductor
• Fabric strand or string wound into one of the conductors
Of course, there are some wires that appear completely identical. So be careful, or you might make
a connection mistake. If you do, one loudspeaker will be playing “out-of-phase” with the other
loudspeaker. A pair of out-of-phase loudspeakers works against each other, and the sound of the
two playing together will be lacking in bass and sound “phasey.” If you suspect the sound is not
right, and you cannot see any markings on the wire, try this simple test:
DS00425BCN_OS_3.indd 18 6/24/05 4:13:26 PM