If your camera fails to function as expected, check the list of common problems
below before consulting your retailer or Nikon representative. Refer to the page
numbers listed in the right-most column for information on solving the problems
In extremely rare instances, unusual characters may appear in the monitor and the camera
may stop functioning. In most cases, this phenomenon is caused by a strong external static
charge. Turn the camera off, remove and replace the battery, and turn the camera on again,
or, if you are using the optional AC adapter, disconnect and reconnect the adapter, and turn
the camera on again. Note that disconnecting the power source as described above may re-
sult in the loss of any data not recorded to the memory or memory card at the time the prob-
lem occurred. Data already recorded to the memory or memory card will not be affected.
Problem Possible cause c
Monitor is blank
• Camera is off.
• Monitor is off.
• Battery is not correctly inserted or battery-chamber/
memory card slot cover is not properly latched.
• Battery is exhausted.
• Optional EH-62C AC adapter kit is not properly con-
• Camera is in Standby mode. Press shutter-release but-
• USB cable is connected.
• Audio/video cable is connected.
• Battery is low.
• Battery is cold.
• Indicators may be hidden. Select the setting other
than Hide info for Photo info option in the monitor
Monitor is hard
• Ambient lighting is too bright: move to a darker loca-
• Monitor brightness needs adjustment.
• Monitor is dirty: clean monitor.