The Shooting Menu
Focus Area Display
• When the subject is in focus, focus area will be displayed in green.
• When the subject is out of focus, focus area will blink in red.
• When AF area mode is lAuto, focus area will be displayed when the shutter-release
button is pressed halfway.
Notes on Focus Area Selection
• In Scene mode (c34), the camera automatically selects optimal focus area for the selected
• In Movie mode, camera automatically focuses on the subject using the center focus area.
AF area mode cannot be used.
• While digital zoom (c20) is in effect, the center focus area is used. AF area mode cannot
Focus and exposure are locked when the shutter-release button is pressed halfway, and re-
main locked while the Shutter-release button is held in this position (AF lock). AF lock can be
used to take pictures of off-center subjects or in situations in which the camera is unable to
focus using autofocus (c23).
Procedures for AF lock are described below. In this example, AF area mode (c97) is set to
Position the subject in the center of the frame in the
monitor and press the shutter-release button half-
2 Check the focus indicator
When the subject is in focus, the focus indicator on
the monitor is lit. Focus area shows green on the
• Focus and exposure will remain locked while the shutter-
release button is pressed halfway.
3 Recompose the picture
Keeping the shutter-release button pressed halfway,
recompose your picture. Do not change the distance
between the camera and your subject while AF lock
is in effect. If your subject moves, remove your finger
from the shutter-release button and focus again at
the new distance.
4 Take the picture
Press the shutter-release button the rest of the way
down to shoot.