TightVNC (Server and Viewer) — Pre-requisites
Before TightVNC Server installation on a remote machine, to access a thin client device you must know
• IP address or valid DNS name of the thin client device to be shadow, operate or monitor. For more
information, see Using the Dell Thin Client Application.
• Primary password of the thin client device to shadow, operate or monitor. For more information, see
Configuring TightVNC Server Properties on the Thin Client.
• To obtain the IP address of the administrator’s thin client device, move the pointer over the
TightVNC icon in the taskbar,
• To configure TightVNC Server, the Default primary password is DELL.
Using TightVNC to Shadow a Thin Client
TightVNC Server starts automatically as a service upon thin client startup. The TightVNC Server service
can also be stopped and started by using the Services window.
1. Log in as an administrator.
2. Click Start → All apps → Control Panel → Administrative Tools → Services, and then select
3. You may also use the TightVNC Server features in Start → All apps → TightVNC.
To shadow a thin client from a remote machine:
a. On a remote machine on which TightVNC Viewer is installed, open the New Tight VNC
Connection dialog box.
b. Enter the IP address or valid DNS name of the thin client that is to be shadowed or operated or
c. Click OK.
The VNC Authentication dialog box is displayed.
d. Enter the Password of the thin client that is to be shadowed; this is the Primary Password of the
thin client that is to be shadowed.
e. Click OK.
The thin client that is to be shadowed or operated or monitored will be displayed for the
administrator in a separate window on the remote machine. Use the mouse and keyboard on the
remote machine to operate the thin client just as you would if you were operating it locally.
Configuring TightVNC Server Properties on the Thin
1. To open the TightVNC Server Configuration (offline) dialog box, click Start Menu → All Apps →
TightVNC → TightVNC Server — Offline Configuration.
The TightVNC Server Configuration (offline) dialog box is displayed.
2. In the Server tab, set the Primary password. Use this password while shadowing the thin client.
Default Primary password is Wyse.