NOTE: If you use a Windows 2003/2008 Server or with Windows Server 2008, a Terminal Services
Client Access License (TSCAL) server must also be accessible on the network. The server grants a
temporary license, which expires after 120 days. After the temporary license expires, purchase and
install the TSCALs on the server. You cannot make a connection without a temporary or permanent
To configure a Remote Desktop Connection:
1. Log in as a user or administrator.
2. On the Start menu, click All apps → Remote Desktop Connection, or double-click the Remote
Desktop Connection icon on the desktop.
The Remote Desktop Connection window is displayed.
3. In the Computer box, enter the computer or the domain name.
For advanced configuration options, click Show Options.
a. In the General tab, you can enter the logon credentials, edit or open an existing RDP
connection, or save a new RDP connection file.
b. In the Display tab, manage the display and the color quality of your remote desktop.
• Move the slider to increase or decrease the size of your remote desktop. To use full screen,
move the slider all the way to the right.
• Select the color quality of your preference for your remote desktop from the drop-down list.
• Select or clear the Display the connection bar when I use the full screen check box to
display or hide the connection bar in full screen mode.
c. In the Local Resources tab configure audio, keyboard, or local devices and resources for your
• In the Remote audio section, click Settings for advanced audio settings options.
• In the Keyboard section, choose when and where to apply keyboard combinations.
• In the Local devices and resources section, select devices and resources that you want to
use in your remote session. Click More for more options.
d. In the Experience tab optimize the performance of your remote session based on the
If you find that the Unified Write Filter cache is filling up, you can disable Bitmap caching in
the Experience tab after clicking Show Options in the window.
e. In the Advanced tab, select the action to be taken when the server authentication fails and
configure settings for connection through Remote Gateway.
4. Click Connect.
5. Enter the login credentials for connecting to the remote session in the Security dialog box.
The remote desktop is displayed with the connection bar on the top if you select the Display the
connection bar option in step 3 b.