Windows Security Update Deployment 29
Step 5: Add a Distribution Point to the Software Package
1. Under the Packages node, select the Downloaded Updates package to expand it.
2. Open the New Distribution Points Wizard (right-click Distribution Points, and then
select New > Distribution Points), and then click Next.
3. On the Copy Package page, select the servers that you want to designate as the
distribution points (other than PXE point), and then click Next.
4. After the wizard is completed, click Close. The distribution points should appear under
the Distribution Point node of the respective package.
5. Under the Packages node, select the Downloaded Updates package to expand it.
6. Right-click Distribution Points, select Update Distribution Points, and then click
Yes. The package should be copied to all Distribution Points, except the PXE point.
Step 6: Use Device Manager to Advertise the Software Package
In this step you will use Device Manager (instead of a Configuration Manager
task sequence) to Advertise the software package. This will automatically
perform the File-Based Write Filter disabling and enabling that is required
when deploying software packages.
1. In the Configuration Manager console, open the New Advertisement Wizard (select
Site Database > Computer Management > Embedded Device Management >
Write Filter Servicing > Advertisements with Write Filter Handling, right-click
Advertisements with Write Filter Handling, and then select New).
2. On the Getting Started page, select the I understand that the devices option and the
Package supports unattended installation option, and then click Next.
3. On the General page, enter the name for the advertisement, for example: Deploying
Downloaded Updates, and do the following:
• For package selection, click Browse, select the Downloaded Updates package you
created, and then click OK.
• For collection selection, click Browse, select the collection (for example, Wyse
Z-Class devices), and then click OK.
4. Click Next.
5. On the Schedule page, click on the yellow star next to Mandatory assignments to open
the Assignment Schedule window, select the Assign immediately after this event
option, select As soon as possible in the drop down list, click OK, and then do the
• In the Priority drop down list, select High.
• (Optional) Set the Advertisement start time and expires settings you want.
6. Click Next.
7. On the Distribution Points page, click Next.
8. On the Interaction page, click Next.
9. On the Security page, click Next.
10.On the Summary page, click Next.