How to Distribute Software 7
Phase 2: Advertising the Software Package Using Device Manager
1. In the Configuration Manager console, open the New Advertisement Wizard (select
Site Database > Computer Management > Embedded Device Management >
Write Filter Servicing > Advertisements with Write Filter Handling, right-click
Advertisements with Write Filter Handling, and then select New).
2. On the Getting Started page, select the I understand that the devices option and the
Package supports unattended installation option, and then click Next.
3. On the General page, enter the name for the advertisement, for example: Deploying
Firefox App, and do the following:
• For package selection, click Browse, select the Firefox package you created, and
then click OK.
• For collection selection, click Browse, select the collection (for example, Wyse
Z-Class devices), and then click OK.
4. Click Next.
5. On the Schedule page, click on the yellow star next to Mandatory assignments to open
the Assignment Schedule window, select the Assign immediately after this event
option, select As soon as possible in the drop down list, click OK, and then do the
• In the Priority drop down list, select High.
• (Optional) Set the Advertisement start time and expires settings you want.
6. Click Next.
7. On the Distribution Points page, click Next.
8. On the Interaction page, click Next.
9. On the Security page, click Next.
10.On the Summary page, click Next.
11. Click Close. The advertisement with the name you assigned should appear on the
Advertisements with Write Filter Handling page.
IMPORTANT: Time for the Advertisement to appear at the client side depends on the
machine and user policy refresh interval time, server and network parameters such as
server capacity to handle the clients and network traffic.
If you do not receive an Advertisement, then you must initiate on the thin client:
1 - Go to Control Panel > Configuration Manager > Actions tab, select Machine Policy
Retrieval & Evaluation, and then click Initiate Action.
2 - Go to Control Panel > Configuration Manager > Actions tab, select User Policy
Retrieval & Evaluation Cycle, and then click Initiate Action.