Installing .NET Framework on Primary and Secondary
Microsoft .NET Framework is a pre-requisite to install SQL Server Standalone 2012 (or any other
supported version of SQL Server) on the primary and secondary nodes.
To install the .NET Framework:
1. Launch Server Manager on the VMs you have identified for the primary and secondary nodes.
2. Click on Features under Server Manager to launch the Add Features Wizard and select .NET
Framework 3.5.1 Features.
3. Click Next and you will prompted to install the required rol services and features to install .NET
Framework 3.5.1 features.
4. Click Add Required Role Services. The option .NET Extensibility is selected by default. Click Next to
5. Confirm the installation selections and click Install.
6. After the installation of the selected components is complete, the installation results are displayed.
7. Click Close to complete the .NET Framework installation.
Installing SQL Server on Primary and Secondary Nodes
Installing SQL Server on both the nodes and configuring it to function in a cluster is an important step in
the setup of a high availability database cluster. This section provides the steps to install and configure
SQL Server 2012 standalone on both the nodes. If you want to install any of the supported versions of
SQL Server, see the installation instructions provided by Microsoft.
To install a standalone version of SQL Server 2012 on the both the nodes:
1. Launch the SQL Server 2012 installation media.
2. Click Installation and select New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing
3. Make sure that the Setup Support Rules does not display any failures. Click Next to continue.
4. Enter the Product key and click Next.
5. Check the product update and click Next.
6. Accept the license agreement and click Next.
7. Select the SQL Server Feature Installation option and click Next.
8. In the Feature Selection screen, select the Database Engine Services features and all the features
9. Select the Management Tools – Basic feature and the feature under it. Click Next.
10. Make sure that the Installation Rules screen does not display any failures. Click Next.
11. In the Instance Configuration screen, make sure that the Default instance option is checked.
12. Click Next to view the Disk Space Requirements.
13. Click Next to view the Server Configuration.
14. Enter the domain credentials for server configuration and click Next.