• IP address or valid DNS name of the Thin Client to be shadow, operate or monitor. For more
information, see Viewing Client Information.
• Primary password of the Thin Client to shadow, operate or monitor. For more information, see
Configuring TightVNC Server Properties on the Thin Client.
• To obtain the IP address of the administrator’s Thin Client, move the pointer over the TightVNC
icon in the taskbar.
• To configure TightVNC Server, the Default primary password is DELL.
Using TightVNC to Shadow a thin client
TightVNC Server starts automatically as a service upon thin client startup. The TightVNC Server service
can also be stopped and started by using the Services window.
1. Log in as an administrator.
2. Click Start → Control Panel → Administrative Tools → Services, and then select TightVNC Server.
• You may also use the TightVNC Server features in Start → All Programs → TightVNC Server
3. To shadow a thin client from a remote machine use the following guidelines:
a. On a remote machine on which TightVNC Viewer is installed, open the New Tight VNC
Connection dialog box.
b. Enter the IP address or valid DNS name of the thin client that is shadowed or operated or
c. Click OK.
The VNC Authentication dialog box is displayed.
d. Enter the Password of the thin client that is shadowed, and then click OK.
This is the Primary Password of the thin client that is shadowed.
The thin client that is shadowed or operated or monitored is displayed for the administrator in a
separate window on the remote machine. Use the mouse and keyboard on the remote machine to
operate the thin client just as you would if you were operating it locally.
Configuring TightVNC Server Properties on the Thin Client
To Configure the TightVNC Server Properties on the Thin Client.
1. To open the TightVNC Server Configuration (offline) dialog box, Click Start → Program →
TightVNC Server (Application Mode) → TightVNC Server → Offline Configuration.
TightVNC Server Configuration (offline) dialog box is displayed.
2. In the Server tab, Set the Primary password. Use this password while shadowing the thin client.
Default Primary password is DELL.
3. In the Server tab, select the following check boxes:
• Accept incoming connections
• Require VNC authentication
• Enable file transfers
• Hide desktop wallpaper
• Show icon in the notification area