2Oregon 4-H Archery Member Manual
The Ten Commandments
of Archery Safety
1. I will always treat my bow and arrows as a firearm and
not point them at anything that I do not intend to kill.
2. I will not nock an arrow or draw a bow when a person is
in front of me.
3. I will never release an arrow where I cannot see the
entire flight of the arrow.
4. I will not shoot an arrow straight up.
5. I will not release a drawn bow without an arrow (dry
6. I will not shoot an arrow that is too short for my draw or
one that is damaged or too weak for my bow.
7. I will not shoot toward houses, highways, livestock, or
where there are people.
8. I will not go forward to retrieve my arrows until all are
9. When looking for an arrow beyond the target, I will set
an arrow in the top of the target, or set my bow in front
of the target to warn others that I am behind the target.
10. I will always be courteous to others, conserve wildlife,
and preserve the natural beauty of my country.
Archival copy. For current version, see: https://catalog.extension.oregonstate.edu/4-h361