6 Cam Brake Assembly and Installation
24 ArvinMeritor Maintenance Manual MM-0361 (Revised 04-10)
Spindle and Brake to the Steering Knuckle
1. On units equipped for ABS, if the steel sleeve for holding the
ABS sensor clip and ABS sensor has been disassembled,
install the sleeve with a suitable driver. Install the sleeve into
the spindle until it is 0.9375-inch (23.8 mm) below the inner
bearing shoulder. Install the ABS sensor clip into the sleeve.
2. If disassembled, install the thrust washer and seal wiper sleeve
into the spindle. Figure 6.10.
NOTE: On larger model axles, spindle installation will be easier if
you install two temporary pilot studs into opposite sides of the
knuckle. Tighten the studs finger-tight. Figure 6.11.
3. If the brake was removed as an assembly, install it at this time.
4. Install the spider assembly against the knuckle with the keyway
slot for the wheel bearing adjusting nut system toward the top
for ABS spindles.
5. Install the brake spider onto the spindle. Fasten all parts to the
knuckle with 12 capscrews and washers. Tighten to the correct
torque. Refer to Section 8. Figure 6.12.
6. Check the axle shaft end play.
A. Place a magnetic base dial indicator into position on the
housing with the pointer on the shaft. Set the dial
indicator to ZERO.