5 Prepare Parts for Assembly
20 ArvinMeritor Maintenance Manual MM-0361 (Revised 04-10)
7. Verify that threads are clean and not damaged, so that correct
torque specifications for fasteners can be obtained.
8. Tighten all fasteners to the correct torque specifications. Refer
to Section 8.
Applying Adhesive and Silicone Gasket
When you apply some silicone gasket materials, a small
amount of acid vapor is present. To prevent serious personal
injury, ensure that the work area is well-ventilated. Read the
manufacturer’s instructions before using a silicone gasket
material, then carefully follow the instructions. If a silicone
gasket material gets into your eyes, follow the manufacturer’s
emergency procedures. Have your eyes checked by a
physician as soon as possible.
Take care when you use Loctite® adhesive to avoid serious
personal injury. Read the manufacturer’s instructions before
using this product. Follow the instructions carefully to prevent
irritation to the eyes and skin. If Loctite® adhesive material
gets into your eyes, follow the manufacturer’s emergency
procedures. Have your eyes checked by a physician as soon as
The silicone gasket products listed in Table A or their equivalent can
be used on Meritor components.
1. Remove all old gasket material from both surfaces.
2. Clean the surfaces where you’ll apply the silicone gasket
material. Remove all oil, grease, dirt and moisture. Dry both
The amount of silicone gasket material applied must not
exceed a 0.125-inch (3.18 mm) diameter bead. Too much
gasket material can block lubrication passages. Damage to
components can result.
3. Apply a 0.125-inch (3.18 mm) diameter continuous bead of
silicone gasket material around one surface. Also apply the
gasket material around the edge of all the fastener holes on
that surface. Figure 5.7.
4. Assemble the components immediately to permit the gasket
material to compress evenly between the parts.
5. Tighten the fasteners to the required torque specification for
that size fastener. Refer to Section 8.
6. Wait 20 minutes before filling the assembly with lubricant.
Product Name Description
Loctite® 5699 Ultra Grey Adhesive/Sealant
Permatex® 82194 Ultra Grey Silicone Sealant
Three Bond 1216 Silicone Sealant
Three Bond 1216E Silicone Sealant
0.125" (3.18 MM) DIAMETER