Part No 1143151 41 Invacare 3G Storm Series®
Powered Wheelchair Electromagnetic Interference (EMI)
Because EM energy rapidly becomes more intense as one moves closer to the transmitting antenna (source), the EM fields from hand-held radio wave
sources (transceivers) are of special concern. It is possible to unintentionally bring high levels of EM energy very close to the powered wheelchair's
control system while using these devices. This can affect powered wheelchair movement and braking. Therefore, the warnings listed below are
recommended to prevent possible interference with the control system of the powered wheelchair.
Electromagnetic interference (EMI) from sources such as radio and TV stations, amateur radio (HAM) transmitters, two-way radios, and cellular
phones can affect powered wheelchairs and motorized scooters.
FOLLOWING THE WARNINGS LISTED BELOW SHOULD REDUCE THE CHANCE OF UNINTENDED BRAKE RELEASE OR POWERED
WHEELCHAIR MOVEMENT WHICH COULD RESULT IN SERIOUS INJURY.
1) DO NOT operate hand-held transceivers (transmitters receivers), such as citizens band (CB) radios, or turn ON
personal communication devices, such as cellular phones, while the powered wheelchair is turned ON;
2) Be aware of nearby transmitters, such as radio or TV stations, and try to avoid coming close to them;
3) If unintended movement or brake release occurs, turn the powered wheelchair OFF as soon as it is safe;
4) Be aware that adding accessories or components, or modifying the powered wheelchair, may make it more
susceptible to EMI (NOTE: There is no easy way to evaluate their effect on the overall immunity of the powered
5) Report all incidents of unintended movement or brake release to the powered wheelchair manufacturer, and
note whether there is a source of EMI nearby.
1) 20 volts per meter (V/m) is a generally achievable and useful immunity level against EMI (as of May 1994) (the
higher the level, the greater the protection);
2) This device has been tested to a radiated immunity level of 20 volts per meter.
3) The immunity level of the product is unknown.
Modification of any kind to the electronics of this scooter as manufactured by Invacare may adversely affect the EMI