Cleaning and storing the camera
Cleaning the camera
Turn off the camera and remove the battery before cleaning the camera.
• Wipe gently with a soft cloth. If the camera is very dirty, soak the cloth in mild soapy water
and wring well. Wipe the camera with the damp cloth and then dry it with a dry cloth. If you
have used the camera at the beach, use a cloth soaked in clean water and well wrung.
• Wipe gently with a soft cloth.
• Blow dust off the lens with a commercially available blower. For the lens, wipe gently with
a lens cleaning paper.
• When not using the camera for a prolonged period, remove the battery and card. Store
the camera in a cool, dry place that is well ventilated.
• Insert the battery periodically and test the camera’s functions.
• Remove dust and other foreign matter from the body and rear caps before attaching them.
• Attach the body cap to the camera to prevent dust from getting inside when no lens is
attached. Be sure to replace the front and rear lens caps before putting the lens away.
• Clean the camera after use.
• Do not store with insect repellent.
Cleaning and checking the image pickup device
This camera incorporates a dust reduction function to keep dust from getting on the
image pickup device and to remove any dust or dirt from the image pickup device
surface with ultrasonic vibrations. The dust reduction function operates when the
camera is turned on.
The dust reduction function operates at the same time as the pixel mapping, which
checks the image pickup device and image processing circuitry. Since dust reduction
is activated every time the camera’s power is turned on, the camera should be held
upright for the dust reduction function to be effective.
• Do not use strong solvents such as benzene or alcohol, or a chemically treated cloth.
• Avoid storing the camera in places where chemicals are treated, in order to protect the
camera from corrosion.
• Mold may form on the lens surface if the lens is left dirty.
• Check each part of the camera before use if it has not been used for a long time. Before
taking important pictures, be sure to take a test shot and check that the camera works